I wrote this 3 years ago and forgot about it until today, but every word still rings true! I'm sure we could add a few more, with the addition of two additional kids. (Yes, I noticed my repetition of a word there; instead of fixing it, I decided to make it worse.) Do you have any additional additions to add? ;)
12 Signs You're a Music Geek
• Your children know more about Bach than Barney or Big Bird.
• Your 3-year-old plays a song on the piano for visiting friends; upon finishing, he tells them it was a pentatonic scale (and a glissando to boot).
• You can tell when the organ transposition button is pushed without looking at it. And you catch the eyes of other musicians in the chapel and exchange knowing winks and smirks.
• Your 2-year-old stands around waving her arms; she says she is “ducting” and asks, “Mommy, is this the ‘ctus?” (And, in fact, it was an effective ictus)
• Even as an adult, one of your favorite things to do with your sisters is sing chromatic scales in rounds. And you spend hours at it.
• You can tell when the organist at church is really playing a very slow version of Van Halen’s “Jump” instead of a hymn for postlude.
• Your husband calls you from work to play you a hilarious piece of avant-garde music and you ask to hear it twice.
• You practice solfege with your toddlers while making dinner.
• You suffer an uncontrollable fit of laughter when your husband (yes, the one with the PhD in Musicology) tries to convince you that “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” begins on “mi” and then sings it and still thinks he’s right.
• Your son (the 3-year-old) hears an R&B song on the radio and says, “Mommy, I want to play this song when I grow up.” You say, “Oh, really, honey, like on the drums and the guitar?” He replies, “No, on the cello and the flute.” And then you giggle trying to imagine “Smack Dat” with cellos and flutes.
And finally, to make matters worse, you bring science fiction geekdom into the mix:
• You and your husband spend an hour casting “The Magic Flute” with characters from science fiction movies, including Star Trek, Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Is it just me or would Lwaxana Troi make a fabulous Queen of the Night?
• You’re up at 12:16 am writing a list of signs that prove you are a music geek.